Trio arrested for possession of a loaded handgun, Cocaine, and Heroin subsequent to a traffic stop.
NEW YORK STATE POLICE Major Douglas R. Keyer Jr.Troop T Commander
PRESS RELEASECoxsackie, NY – On December 12, 2017, at approximately 3:35 a.m., State Police stopped a vehicle on I-87, in the Town of Coxsackie for vehicle and traffic violation. During the interviewing of the driver Chiffon S. Scott, age 34, of Schenectady, NY, for the vehicle and traffic violation probable cause to search the vehicle and its occupants was established. During the subsequent search of driver of the vehicle, and two occupants Melanie G. Joseph, age 25, of Albany, NY, and Sherrod Smalls, age 44, of Bronx, NY, Cocaine, Heroin, Marihuana and a loaded handgun were located. All three were taken into custody, transported and processed at SP Albany, where they were subsequently charged with:
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 3rd degree; a Class B Felony (with intent to sell)
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 4th degree; a Class C Felony (narcotic drug)
- Unlawful Possession of Marihuana; a Violation
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd degree; a Class C Felony (loaded firearm)
- Vehicle and Traffic Violations (Scott only)
All three were arraigned in the Town of Coxsackie Court, Smalls was remanded to the Green County Jail with no bail. Joseph and Scott remanded in lieu of $1500. Cash or $3000. Bond. No return court date available at this time.