GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES 20 PROPERTIES RECOMMENDED TO STATE AND NATIONAL REGISTERS OF HISTORIC PLACES
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended adding 20 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The nominations reflect the striking diversity of New York's history and include a covert FBI radio transmission station, a landmark in aviation history now used as a community college, and a facility used in the transmission of electricity from Niagara Falls to Buffalo in the early 1900s.
State and National Registers listing can assist property owners in revitalizing buildings, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits. Since the Governor signed legislation to bolster the state's use of rehabilitation tax credits in 2013, the state and federal program has spurred more than $3 billion of investment in historic commercial properties.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are more than 120,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Spencertown Historic District, Spencertown - The Columbia County hamlet is an exceptionally intact example of a 19th-century rural town center which originated along a Colonial highway linking Hartford, Connecticut, with Albany and organized around small grist- and saw-mill sites on the Punsit Creek.
Austerlitz Historic District, Austerlitz - The district of 37 properties includes homes from the late 18th century to 1870, as well as a church, hotel, schoolhouse, blacksmith shop and two cemeteries, which generally reflect the architecture of southwestern New England, from whence Austerlitz families came.