The Columbia County D.A.'s office reports a Pittsfield man was sentenced to five years in prison after pleading guilty to drug charges, from a 2017 traffic stop in Canaan. 35 year old Tyrone Byrd found out his sentence Thursday morning in Columbia County Court.
Original press release:
Canaan, NY –
On February 25, 2017, at approximately 2:28 a.m., State Police stopped a vehicle on I-90 for a traffic violation. The passenger of the vehicle, Tyrone S. Byrd, 34, of Pittsfield, MA, was found to be in possession of 28 grams crack-cocaine, 1 pound of marijuana, one marijuana cigarette, and drug paraphernalia, while traveling with an eighteen month old child. He was taken into custody, transported and processed at SP Livingston, where he was subsequently charged with:
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 3rd Degree; a Class B Felony
- Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the 3rd Degree: Intent to Sell; a Class B Felony
- Criminal Possession of Marijuana in the 2nd Degree; a Class D Felony
- Criminally Using Drug Paraphernalia in the 2nd Degree; a Class A Misdemeanor
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child; a Class A Misdemeanor
- Unlawful Possession of Marijuana; a Violation
Byrd was arraigned before the Town of Greenport Court and remanded to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $10,000 cash bail or $30,000 bond. The child and mother were turned over to a responsible party.